Sleep is a fundamental necessity for our health. It’s important to get enough of it to be alert, energized, and coordinated on the job. But if you feel like you don’t get enough sleep, there are things that you can do to get more of it.
There are many reasons why you might be having trouble sleeping.
Some of them are physical, and others are mental. Both can interfere with your ability to get a good night’s rest.
12 ways to sleep better
1. Drink plenty of water before bedtime and avoid caffeinated beverages, which can keep you up at night.
2. Keep your bedroom cool no more than 75 degrees) and dark blackout shades.
3. Avoid taking naps during the day. Instead, try taking short 15-minute naps every 3 hours during the day and no longer than 1 hour at night. A nap that lasts longer than 30 minutes is not considered a restorative nap; rather, it’s better to take shorter periods of time in between naps when possible.
4. Get out of bed at least 15 minutes earlier than usual.
5. Avoid eating heavy meals within 2 hours prior to bedtime (unless you have a medical condition that warrants it).
6. Eat a healthy diet with plenty of protein (such as eggs, fish or lean meats) and whole grains.
7. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, especially before bed.
8. Turn off all electronics 30 minutes before bedtime.
9. Set a consistent bedtime and wake-up time.
10. Avoid caffeine after noon and alcohol in the evening.
11. Keep the bedroom cool, dark and quiet.
12. Get enough exercise during the day because this helps you to feel sleepy at night.
Sleeping well is essential for good health. The right amount of sleep is also important when you’re trying to lose weight or maintain your weight.
While some people can’t get enough sleep, others are plagued by insomnia. If you have trouble sleeping, see your doctor for a diagnosis and treatment options.